Current:Home > ScamsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Wealth Harmony Labs
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-07 03:57:40
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (8522)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- CJ Perry aka Lana has high praise for WWE's Liv Morgan, talks AEW exit and what's next
- Woman swimming off Japanese beach was swept into the Pacific, but rescued 37 hours later and 50 miles away
- Owner offers reward after video captures thieves stealing $2 million in baseball cards
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Neutral Milk Hotel's Julian Koster denies grooming, sexual assault accusations
- Bill Belichick hired as analyst for 'Inside the NFL'
- 65 kangaroos found dead in Australia, triggering criminal investigation: The worst thing I've seen
- 'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
- Shelley Duvall, star of The Shining and Popeye, dies at 75
Ranking
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- RHOC: Inside Shannon Beador & Alexis Bellino's Explosive First Confrontation Over John Janssen
- What's the Jamestown Canyon virus, the virus found in some Maine mosquitoes?
- 2024 ESPY Awards: Winners and highlights from ESPN show
- Kehlani Responds to Hurtful Accusation She’s in a Cult
- Jury to begin deliberations Friday in bribery trial of New Jersey Sen. Bob Menendez
- 2 buses carrying at least 60 people swept into a river by a landslide in Nepal. 3 survivors found
- US appeals court says some NCAA athletes may qualify as employees under federal wage-and-hour laws
Recommendation
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
The Daily Money: Are bonds still a good investment?
2024 ESPYS: Tyler Cameron Confirms He's in a Relationship
Blind horse rescued from Colorado canal in harrowing ordeal
Olympic women's basketball bracket: Schedule, results, Team USA's path to gold
Ex-MLB player Sean Burroughs died of fentanyl overdose, medical examiner finds
Duchess Meghan makes surprise appearance to support Prince Harry at ESPY Awards
JPMorgan Q2 profit jumps as bank cashes in Visa shares, but higher interest rates also help results